Hollywood fashion: we love it, we hate it, we judge it
Ohhhh the Golden Globes. One of those awards ceremonies where the red carpet is vastly more important than the actual awards (really, The Tourist was nominated?). After a very disappointing People’s Choice Awards, the stars really needed to make it up to us at the Globes. And that they did.
The LSH has brought to my attention the fact that I can sometimes be overly critical (“selective”), so we’re going to get the least favorites things, not people, out of the way first:
- Ruffles. In small doses good. But they can get over the top really fast. They can also make a young girl look old, in a mother of the bride dress sort of way.
- Get your hair did. Seriously ladies, pull it together. If it looks like you did your own hair, do something else. Nothing ruins a great gown like lackluster hair.
- Beige. When Ryan asks you what color your dress is, your answer should never be beige. Why? Because you shouldn’t wear beige on a red carpet. Gold, however, is a whole different story.
- Excess volume. Whether on hair or dress, too much is too much.
- If it looks like you are naked or wearing lingerie, this is a bad thing. Always.
#5: Jane Fonda. It was appropriate, yet totally hot. Just because ladies of a certain age cover their arms doesn’t make them a school marm. Plus it totally fit her personality.
#4: Emma Stone. I love this look. So simple and elegant. And on trend with the peach and minimalism.
#3: Julianna Margulies. Oh girl. If Yves Saint Laurent was still alive, he’s approve. Most American women are totally clueless in the art of how to look amazing with little make-up and a demure gown, but she nailed it. SO sophisticated.
#2: Hailee Steinfeld. I can’t tell you how much I love this. First of all, good pick on an emerging designer. It’s young and fresh, but lady-like and age appropriate (she’s 14. seriously). She’s a comer and she says so here.
#1: January Jones. Brought it. Some will love this, some will hate it. But she brought it at a level that takes serious balls. No safe Oscar de la Renta here. And she looks AMAZING. This look is nearly impossible to pull off. It requires a perfect fit, immaculate hair, minimal make-up and practically no jewelry. Which is like telling a kid in a candy store they can’t buy anything (in actress fashion world).
Honorary mention to Anne Hathaway, Angelina Jolie, Kyra Sedgwick, Claire Danes, Sandra Bullock, Tina Fey and Olivia Wilde (and her seriously awesome shoes). Photos are all credited to Jason Merritt/Getty Images